Service, outreach, tradition
Our vision is sharing God's Joy with all, and our mission is to serve Christ by ...
- Inviting others to become disciples
- Growing spiritually as disciples
- Going into the world to witness God's love and serve others in Christ's name
Our goals are ...
- Increasing participation in Church activities
- Assimilating new members and helping them to become better disciples
- Providing every member with opportunities to serve
- Providing resources (facilities, volunteers, funds) to meet the needs of persons in the community and in other places
A brief history ...
In 1828 Anderson Court House Village was established. In that same year a group of Methodist men and women organized a church, and two years later built the first church of any kind in the village. It was built on a half-acre lot on what is now the corner of West Benson and South Murray Avenue in Anderson, SC. The church was a small, rough log structure without windows or means of lighting or heating, built as a labor of love by one of the members, Mr. Hoyt Whittaker, Anderson's first carpenter. It remained on the original site for twenty-eight years.
The present site on the corner of South McDuffie and East River Street was purchased some time later and in 1858 a simple white frame building was erected as the second church, which served until 1888.
The first bricks were laid October 5, 1886 and a brick building was erected as the third church and it was dedicated November 11, 1888. In 1897 the name St. John's was adopted. During 1928 St. John's celebrated its hundredth anniversary. The opening of the new educational building took place that year. The fourth church sanctuary constructed with brick walls was completed in 1912.
In 1953 a project was started to expand social and recreational facilities. This project required seven years and included air-conditioning the sanctuary, construction of the fellowship hall and new and improved class rooms.
St. John's Weekday Kindergarten and Playschool opened September 2, 1963. This center has steadily grown and a Day Care service was added.
The Strong-Hold (Anderson Free Clinic) was dedicated January 26, 1969.
In 1979, a modern, spacious and well-equipped Family Activities Center was constructed on additional property bounded by John, Manning and Market streets. It included a full size gymnasium with bleacher seating, mezzanine floor for table games, youth lounge, classroom, small kitchen and a director's office.
During the Church Conference on June 4, 2000, Option 1 was selected for the first phase of the Heritage Project. As of December 19, 2002, construction is now complete for this first phase which includes the following items:
Parking and Playground Development; Fire Protection System; Electrical System Upgrade; Emergency Exit Lighting; Extra Wing Addition and Renovation; Sanctuary Renovations.
St. John's has steadily built upon her early beginnings, each generation contributing to growth in membership and service in Christ's name. The church has programs which nurture the membership, provide services to the community, and make a witness to God's love both locally and in other parts of the world. The congregation continues to pursue the high calling of Christ, receiving new visions of ministry and pursuing new avenues of service.